Well, with today already being Tuesday, it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make the Thursday deadline. The past weekend (and Monday, as well) ended up with my ‘real’ job taking precedence due to an unforeseen occurrence. I should have listened to you, Murphy…
Some more good news/bad news. Bad news first: my friend who’s handling the cover art also got swamped over his real job. Good news: I somehow managed to mangle a stock photo that I found to the point where it appears to be quite passable. Well, at least my friend’s two year old seemed to think it was pretty…
As for progress on the book itself, only the last chapter (11) remains to be finished. Also, Episode One is now eleven chapters, rather than the previously mentioned ten. I’ll have to update the FAQ to reflect this. Up to chapter 8 has been edited, so that only leaves three more to do once I’m done. So, after that, and then giving it another quick once-over, I should be ready to upload it sometime this weekend (Nov 17 or 18).
Wish me luck…
Just a quick update before heading to bed.
Wasn’t able to accomplish much writing today, but did manage to pass the 20,000 word mark – am now clocking in at just over 20,200 words.
Contacted someone regarding the cover art – will have an update on that later this week.
Also, just a clarification regarding where to get the book once it’s finished. Smashwords will be distributing it to (at least) the following ebook retailers not too long after it’s been submitted:
- Apple iBookstore
- Barnes & Noble
- Sony Reader Store
- Diesel eBook Store
- and probably quite a few others that I’ve forgotten to list…
It will be released on Amazon, but that may be delayed a few days – reason being that Amazon doesn’t seem to allow an easy way for you to list a free ebook, so will have to work that out.
1. As mentioned in the last post, I was considering the advice of my friend to change the naming convention of the books. I’ve heeded her advice, and will be updating the F.A.Q. (hopefully tonight, but it’s getting late…) to reflect the change.
2. I’ve gotten into the bad habit of editing-while-writing, which, under the guise of being helpful, only serves to slow down productivity to a crawl. Any potential authors reading this, take my advice and make sure you don’t fall into this trap. Try to complete a full draft first before going back to edit.
3. Artifice: Episode One is now clocking in just under 19,500 words. Unfortunately/fortunately, it’s been continuously edited while being worked on, so it looks like I’m on track for the Nov 15 release date. Looks like we’ll have a total of ten chapters, of which nearly eight have been written.
4. Maps. Love ’em, but hate making them. I’m going to start transposing my roughly drawn sketches to a more professional layout later this week. As you can tell from the test picture in the gallery, drawing is definitely not my forte. We’ll see how this turns out…
5. I might be able to somewhat get away with making the maps, but there’s no way I’ll ever be able to make a passable book cover. To that end, I’ll be asking for help from a friend tomorrow. Maybe I’ll do a post later detailing the entire project, as some may find it useful or interesting.
As suggested by a friend of mine, I’m heavily considering altering the current naming convention of the books – i.e. Abc: Part One, Abc: Part Two, etc…
She suggested using ‘Abc: Episode One, etc…’ instead. Her reasoning was that it “gives a better subconscious connotation”. I understand what she’s trying to say, and I agree she’s got a point. ‘Part’ sort of suggests you’re getting an incomplete piece, whereas ‘Episode’ denotes a more ‘complete’ piece.
Too tired to decide now anyways – am hitting the sack, and will decide later this week.