1. As mentioned in the last post, I was considering the advice of my friend to change the naming convention of the books. I’ve heeded her advice, and will be updating the F.A.Q. (hopefully tonight, but it’s getting late…) to reflect the change.
2. I’ve gotten into the bad habit of editing-while-writing, which, under the guise of being helpful, only serves to slow down productivity to a crawl. Any potential authors reading this, take my advice and make sure you don’t fall into this trap. Try to complete a full draft first before going back to edit.
3. Artifice: Episode One is now clocking in just under 19,500 words. Unfortunately/fortunately, it’s been continuously edited while being worked on, so it looks like I’m on track for the Nov 15 release date. Looks like we’ll have a total of ten chapters, of which nearly eight have been written.
4. Maps. Love ’em, but hate making them. I’m going to start transposing my roughly drawn sketches to a more professional layout later this week. As you can tell from the test picture in the gallery, drawing is definitely not my forte. We’ll see how this turns out…
5. I might be able to somewhat get away with making the maps, but there’s no way I’ll ever be able to make a passable book cover. To that end, I’ll be asking for help from a friend tomorrow. Maybe I’ll do a post later detailing the entire project, as some may find it useful or interesting.
As suggested by a friend of mine, I’m heavily considering altering the current naming convention of the books – i.e. Abc: Part One, Abc: Part Two, etc…
She suggested using ‘Abc: Episode One, etc…’ instead. Her reasoning was that it “gives a better subconscious connotation”. I understand what she’s trying to say, and I agree she’s got a point. ‘Part’ sort of suggests you’re getting an incomplete piece, whereas ‘Episode’ denotes a more ‘complete’ piece.
Too tired to decide now anyways – am hitting the sack, and will decide later this week.
… but hopefully not crazy.
Artifice: Part One is now clocking in at just under 11,000 words and counting. This includes the first three chapters, and the beginning of chapter four. Thankfully, I had a script/storyboard for all the major plot points and events already laid out for the first four books – so it’s just been a matter of filling in the blanks, so to speak.
If I can keep this rate up, I may be able to tack a bit extra into this first part, but that remains to be seen. If I can’t, it won’t be for lack of trying.
One of my close friends (i.e. one of the three people actually reading this site) asked me why I’ve bothered updating this blog that no one [who counts] is currently reading, and why not simply concentrate my efforts fully on writing the book?
If and hopefully when ‘actual visitors’ start reading this site, I suspect they might have the same question.
So, I’ll assume that you’ve wondered that as well, and I’ll give you the same answer I gave my friend:
This blog, in it’s current state is more for my benefit than anything else. It’s more a diary right now, or perhaps an apocalyptic manifesto, should I end up utterly failing (or if the Mayans end up being right).
So, there you go. Hopefully, this diary has a happy ending. 🙂
Hi there, and thanks for visiting my site!
Who am I? I’m an aspiring author in the process of publishing my first book. Please read the F.A.Q. for more details.
I’ve finally decided to put aside my years-long procrastination, and am feverently writing in an attempt to try to release Part One of my first book (for free!) before the Mayans hit stop on the game clock. Should the world not end, I hope you’ll decide to buy future parts. 🙂
I’ve put up a sample of the first few pages of the first book Artifice: Part One, in the hopes that… well… someone likes it.
I’ve also taken the plunge and decided to join the modern age. My friend has created this nice WordPress site for me, and hopefully I don’t muck it up to the point where it needs to re-installed. I’ve also created Facebook and Twitter accounts at www.facebook.com/kpalexanderauthor and @KPA_Author, respectively. Expect to see some content as soon as I figure out how to use them…
Until next time, and thanks for visiting my website!